Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mommy Guilt

As Denise addressed in her post, most of us Mommies feel guilt about a LOT of things regarding our kids. I think it's a natural part of being a mom - we'll never be perfect, and there are always things we can do better! I think I need to read the book that Denise recommends in her post! :) But here are my 'guilty lists', just to share, and hopefully make some of you feel better about your parenting. :)

10 Things I do NOT Feel Guilty About: (this list is MUCH harder than you might think)

1. Leaving Z in the nursery at church and MOPS.
2. Letting Z go to sleep on his own in his crib.
3. Giving Z fruit instead of veggies at 4 of his 5 meals/snacks a day.
4. Letting Z watch Sesame Street in his exersaucer for an hour every day while I get a shower and check email.
5. Wearing Z while I work in the kitchen at camp or do housework.
6. Singing songs & reading books to my little boy all day long.
7. Hugging & kissing Z as often as I can.
8. The state of his wild hair, and the fact that it really does 'need' to be cut.
9. Letting him wear the same jammies two nights in a row.
10. Not making Z wear real shoes- Robeez work great for right now.

10 Things I DO Feel Guilty About:

1. Feeding Z junky 'toddler food' like mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, hot dogs and fish sticks every day.
2. Finishing a post or an email while Z cries or plays in his bed after he wakes up from his nap.
3. Wishing Z would quit being grouchy when I know he's in pain from teething.
4. Letting Z watch more than one hour of Sesame Street a day.
5. Z doesn't drink NEARLY enough whole milk, so I supplement with cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.
6. When Z's schedule gets messed up by things I want to do like Mother's Group, camp or church activities.
7. Leaving Z with his Daddy so I can hang out by myself for a few minutes (and write this post). :)
8. Leaving Z with a babysitter so his Daddy and I can go out.
9. Not leaving Z with a babysitter more than we do.
10. Not disciplining Z consistently enough for certain things he shouldn't touch.

I am tempted to add lots MORE to the guilty column...and this doesn't even touch the other areas of my life- I feel guilty for the way I keep my house, the way I do my job at camp, the state of cleanliness in my office, how long it's been since I've written to certain people or called them...and on and on.

I know God doesn't want us to live in guilt, but in His grace. I guess I still need to learn this even more each day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hopped over here from Marla Taviano's blog. This is an interesting exercise. I have mommy guilt on a daily basis, but my lists are not always consistent. Sometimes I feel guilty about choosing to spend an hour on my computer instead of with my children and other days I find this to be a wonderful thing for them, teaching them they are not the center of the world. I'm also guessing your lists will change as Z gets older. My two are 5 and 3 1/2 years old, so my daily struggles are different than yours. Finding a balance between grace and responsibility is a lifelong struggle, I think.

Unknown said...

I'm just impressed you were able to balance your lists! :-) Mine is so heavily loaded with guilt right now, i dont know if i could even come up with 10 things i dont feel guilty about (even though I'm sure they are there!) being a work at home mom to a 5 month old makes balancing things tough! ps - I just found your blog from Marla's and look forward to reading more. What kind of camp do you work at? my hubby and I work for a Christian camp in Georgia (it's for inner-city kids) and love it!